Resources for Discerning Women in Eldership
Broadview Church, September 2021
Before you begin –
1. Please read Philippians 2:1-11
2. Consider the qualities and mindset we each need to possess in order to make a good decision and honour one another throughout this process.
The following resources have been put together with the desire to:
1. Present both the egalitarian and complementarian views of “women in ministry/leadership/eldership”.
2. Resources are available in the links below. There are also some printed resources available at the Welcome Centre on Sunday mornings and through the church office the rest of the week.
- Complementarianism and Egalitarianism (Haley Lee, video, 5 minutes)
- The Egalitarian/Complementarian Debate,
https://www.godswordforyou.com/the-church/egalitarian-or- complementarian/1298-the-egalitarian-complementarian-debate.html. (Rosemary Bardsley 2017, Article, 1-2 hours)
- Two Views of Women In Ministry (Counterpoints: Bible And Theology Book 12) by Belleville, Linda L., et al., eds. (James R Beck, editor). (Book, 1 copy available at church office).
• Quotes from Introduction (James R. Beck, editor)
– “…one can build a credible case within the bounds of orthodoxy and a commitment to inerrancy for either one of the two major views we address in this volume”
– “The exegetical issues are complex, and even the most enthusiastic of promoters for one side or the other cannot justifiably claim that the opposing view is beyond the limits of orthodoxy. Nor can one assert that a particular view is the only one reflecting a belief in biblical inerrancy.”
– “…the need for a more irenic spirit among proponents on both sides of this debate is as strong as ever. Too often more heat than light emerges when people get together to debate about women in ministry.”
- Mission Creek Alliance Church in Kelowna wrestled through this issue and brought in a guest to help them through some learning on the subject. If you are prepared to take some time, you can watch a recording of their seminars online. Each of 3 sessions is approx. 2.75 hours in length. The other reference listed here presents several short and longer reading resources.